Tech Support Questions
How do I get Real Time customer support?
Download the free phone app called "VOXER Walkie Talkie" then go to your contacts within the app and search for THORSTREAM. Send a message stating the model you have followed by "Support" for example "Thor4 Support" and you will be added to the live support and chat. This is the fastest and most efficinet way for you to get your easy and difficult questions answered.
How do I know when my box needs an update?
Either follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ThorstreamMedia, download Voxer or read the rss newsfeed at the bottom of the Thorstream Interface to get infomation on current updates. Any of these sources will provide you current information on how and when your Thorstream has new firmware or software updates called OTA.
What is an OTA?
OTA stands for over the air. The OTA or OTA updater allows us to update your Thorstream Media Player remotely. We have two types. One is an Auto-Update. When you turn on your unit, it will prompt a message to wait while it is uploading the new firmware or software. This is usually for minor updates. When we have a large update you will get a message on our RSS feed, live support chat or facebook page that we have a new OTA update available. If you get this message simply go to OTA Updater or Thorstream Tools tab and follow the instructions to download and Install.
I just set up my tv box and nothing is working?
If nothing is connecting and you are getting "script error" that means your internet is not connected properly. Make sure you go to settings and choose either ethernet or wifi. Make sure you arrow right and choose ON for connected. If you are having authenticating problems either you have too many devices running or your password was input wrong. Try this, you will want to reset your router and then goto wifi and choose forget password and then re-enter your password.
What do I do if the Stream is Constantly Buffering or Freezing?
• There are two main reasons for this:
1. The stream that you are trying to connect to does not have enough bandwidth to deliver the stream adequately. That means too many people are using the same stream. The solution to this is to simply stop the stream and select a different one.
2. Your Internet or WiFi connection is inadequate. The solution to this is to either upgrade your Internet connection to at least 20 to 30 mbps or start using an Ethernet (wired) connection instead of your WiFi connection. Remember wireless 5GHZ is faster but 2.4GHZ has a longer range. Some people have even purchased a more powerful WiFi router which in some case is necessary based on how many devices are connected in your home or how large or thick your walls are.
Is there anything else I can do for buffering?
• If you are watching an on demand stream that buffers you can pause that stream for 3-5 minutes to cache it out and let it buffer ahead a bit so when you resume play buffering should subside. You should notice a lighter blue/gray bar appear behind the blue movie bar on your screen.
Buffering is very simple, it all comes down to the speed you’re getting to your unit and the host that is sending you the stream.
First step is to check your end and do a speed test on your Thorstream unit. Simply go to the android hompeage and highlight Ookla or go to Thorstream Tools and press ok. Use the cursor button on remote to activate cursor and navigate.
Speed test must be done on your unit not another device, all that matters is the speed your unit is getting so don’t worry about what another device in your house might be getting. If you’re below 20Mbps it's probably on your end and please see below for ways to help improve the speed you’re getting on your unit.
If you’re getting over 20-30Mbps when running the speed test and still getting buffering on certain things then it’s probably on the hosts end, sometimes hosts will get overloaded and that will cause the buffering even with high speeds on your end. The best part about Thorstream is our options, Do a simple search for whatever you’re looking for in another add-on.
If you can connect with an Ethernet cord, thats usually the best option. If you connect wirelessly make sure you connect to the 5.0GHz Dual Band signal. If your router doesn't have that signal and only offers 2.4GHz you should look into upgrading your router. The best router by far is the Nighthawk, it's great for homes with multiple devices and range. Costco offers a great price on them.
You also can try changing the Channel on your router if you’re paying for high speed but getting lower tests on your Thorstream. Most routers come on the default channel 1 for 2.4GHz, you will have much better luck on 7 or 8 as those won't have any interference. To change your router channels you need to log into your router for your pc. The info to do this is usually somewhere on your router.
• We suggest doing a speed test on your 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz signals along with directly connecting through ethernet cord and see which is getting faster speeds to your unit.
• If you pay for less than 15mgs stop trouble shooting immediately and call your current company to upgrade or cancel and go with another company for higher speeds.
Routers and Modems
Reboot internet connection to improve reliability.
If you’re experiencing issues with buffering or a poor internet connection, you’ll probably want to start by rebooting your internet connection, generally this helps substantially and it’s recommended that you do so at least once per week.
Step 1: Unplug the Electrical Source from both your Modem and Router.
Step 2: Verify that no lights remain illuminated on either device. Should there still be anything lit, you’ll need to remove the battery from the hatch door at either the bottom or side of the device.
Step 3: Wait 15 Minutes, giving your Internet Devices time to cool down.
Step 4: Reconnect the Modem first and wait 30 Seconds.
Step 5: Reconnect the Router next and wait 30 Seconds.
Step 6: Open a web page on your computer to verify that you’re back online.
Step 7: Reboot your THORSTREAM!
If you have 2 networks on your list that are the same name then login to your router and change the name of the 5ghz network. A simple 5g to the end is perfect. This will save yourself and your box from any duplicate issues.
How do I optimize my router settings?
• If your router comes with a Genie or a WiFi configurator, then start with that. It may do the work for you.
• If you choose to do this manually then start with these steps:
• Enable 5g WiFi in router settings and add a 5g to the network name so you know which one is which.
• Adjust the placement of your router to avoid interference. Try taking it out of the cabinet or drawer its in and place it on a shelf nearby. Also eliminate big pieces of metal surrounding the router.
• Adjust the antennas on the router. Your manual should have suggestions on suggested angles.
• Change channel on each bandwidth (2.4 & 5g).
• Now you should be optimized. Test your speeds again. If it’s not great then go ahead and reset your modem and router and you should be good.
How do I enable QoS?
• If your router supports QoS you can look at enabling this to set priority bandwidth to your Thorstream.
How do I change wireless channels?
• Login to router and change the channels. Need help with that? How to login to router or change router channels, obviously change the name of the router to your routers brand and model. Download an application like Wi-Fi optimizer to see what channels your neighbors are using and choose a channel no one else is using if possible. We suggest testing the speed after changing the channel as you will see a variance in some of these channels.
What is the best wireless router to buy?
• We highly recommend any of the Netgear Nighthawk Routers or the ASUS Routers. Both of these are available at most electronics stores and definitely your larger chain stores like costco, bestbuy, amazon, staples, etc.. These 2 brand routers perform excellent with Thorstream and all your devices.
Make sure to connect the box to the 5GHZ radio if using wifi, but ethernet or hard wired typically yields higher results.
Congratulations! The internet in your home or office should now be running spectacular.